Re: Layout Prevents use of Drag Struts

Ed Fasula wrote:

> > I'm not sure if I am helping or not since I don't know your level of
> > experience.
>

> > I guess it comes down to - if you don't have enough wall,
> > consider either a
> > braced frame or embedded (cantilevered) columns to do the job.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dennis S. Wish, PE
> > SEConsultant(--nospam--at)Earthlink.net <mailto:SEConsultant(--nospam--at)Earthlink.net>
> > (208) 361-5447 Efax
>
> That all made sense to me, and was helpful.  Thanks.  I haven't had to use a cantilevered tube before.  My concern with that approach is the anchor bolt reactions.  With 4800# x 10'/(2 bolts x 0.5') = 48 kips/bolt.  This estimate may not be appropriate for what you had in mind - I'm not sure what details you normally use for anchorage.  How would you be confident that a residential contractor could install the anchorage, whatever it is, correctly to achieve these forces?  In our case, we have a CMU foundation wall, to make matters worse.
>
> Ed

The best way to insure proper construction is to be up front with the
contractor on what you expect.  After that, let him know you will
inspect it when you are done.  I forget where in the code it says this
but, the engineer has the authority to demand special inspection of any
item.  If you don't want to get in the middle, require special
inspection as a third party.

As for the connection to the foundation, all I can say is good luck.
Concrete may be your only option.  If the house is that expensive, the
owner can probably afford a little concrete and steel.

Respectfully,

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT