RE: Databases for lt gage steel

William Keil wrote:

"Does anybody know why the properties of joists are not published?  My
theory
is that each joist is rolled specifically for each loading detailed on the
drawings and if they can roll the angles 1/32" thinner or shorten the angle
legs by a 1/4" and still meet your loading/span criteria, the manufacturer
will do it to save material and increase profits."

It is my understanding that studs are more proprietary than joists and
tracks. This stems from the shape of the cutout. If the gauge and type of
steel is comparable, then the only things that can make them unique is the
physical dimensions of the flanges, webs and radius of bends. Assuming that
these are equal - the properties should be equal.
I believe that most of this secrecy stems from manufactured studs rather
than joists - but the supplier may not know this.

There are standards emerging, but the problem is getting every manufacturer
to conform. We can force them into conformance by specifying only those
fabricators who comply with the growing standard. Lagers will soon need to
catch up by necessity.

I am willing to create a spreadsheet, VBA Application or Mathcad template to
calculate the section properties of a built-up section in Light Gauge and
offer it on the SEAOC (or SEA International) website if anyone is interested
in supplying the standard properties of the materials (possibly a Steelers,
Angeles Steel or other catalog can be a source). I think that it would be a
useful tool for most of us and I would not mind the challenge.

Let me know if anyone is interested in working with me on this.

Dennis S. Wish PE