=>From: Martin W. Johnson [mailto:MWJ(--nospam--at)eqe.com]
=>Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 1:57 PM
=>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
=>Subject: new SEAOC seismology web page
=>
=>The web page of the seismology committee has been revised
=>into a new format
=>which is intended to allow for the creation of the FAQ list
=>for the new Blue
=>Book, the Seismic Design Manual, and the 1997 UBC.  There is
=>nothing much of
=>substance (i.e., nothin') to look at yet, however, a web page
=>is provided to
=>allow users to submit questions to the committee for eventual
=>creation of the
=>FAQ list.
=>
=>Due to starting glitches in the system, all of the messages
=>will be routed to
=>yours truly for at least a while.  Because I am going to take
=>a few days off,
=>and I tend to work for a living anyway, I am worried about
=>the flood of email
=>that I might have to deal with when I get back (on the other
=>hand, maybe
=>there'll be nothing).  But I intend to wade through it and
=>with your help and
=>patience I hope we can get a useful resource off the ground.
=>
=>Regarding the rigid versus flexible diaphragm thing, members
=>should be receiving
=>a copy of the SEAOC Plan Review in which Ron Hamburger has
=>placed an article of
=>his personal statements.  I have written a somewhat similar
=>position for the
=>seismology committee, but is has been bogged down in review
=>and comment cycle
=>between the code and seismology committees.  Actually, this
=>is an example of
=>what people should expect from any questions submitted for
=>the FAQ list.  2 to 3
=>months of silence while committee members are prodded until
=>everyone agrees.
=>The intent of the FAQ list is to provide answers with some
=>research and
=>consensus agreement, as opposed to the immediate but personal
=>opinions that are
=>already available on the list server.
=>
=>Happy holidays, everyone.