RE: new SEAOC seismology web page

Me first! Me first!

Ref: 1997 UBC Code, section 1633.2.9.3 (R not exceeding 4).

In the old code, 1994 UBC, section 1631.2.9.3, the limitation was Rw<=6.
When designing wood framed structures under the old code using a Rw=6 (Table
16-N, item 1.1.b), this requirement was invisible. Now, the designer is
required to produce MORE (IMO tedious and worthless) structural calculations
for the same structure since R=4.5 for item 1.1.b in Table 16-N.

My Question:

It appears to me that Table 16-N and section 1633.2.9.3 were given to two
engineers to translate to the 1997 UBC code language (i.e., divide by 1.4)
with one engineer rounding up to 4.5 in Table 16-N and one engineer rounding
down to 4 in section 1633.2.9.3 and the seismology committee failed to
coordinate the two. Is this the case or has the seismology committee
discovered some scientific data or anecdotal evidence which, in the interest
of life safety, warrants the additional structural calculations? Or, should
UBC section 1633.2.9.3 be amended to read "...R not exceeding 4.5."?

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA