From: Dan Morrow [mailto:dmorrow(--nospam--at)swensonsayfaget.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 10:18 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: 10/lw term in calculation of rho

In a 10/25/99 post by Robert Shaffer, he commented that if you have less
than a 10 ft shearwall you are penalized by the 10/lw term when calculating
ri.  I attended an SEAOC/ICBO seminar here in Seattle a couple of weeks ago
on the Seismic Design Manual, Vol 1.  One thing that the moderator brought
to light is that the term 10/lw was never meant to exceed 1.0.  Apparently
this fact is not documented in the 1997 UBC or commentary.
So if your structure has shearwalls less than 10 ft long there is no
penalty.
The little things they (the code folks) forget to mention!

Dan Morrow, EIT