Re: TJI Micro=Lam and Top Flange Hangers

At 03:45 PM 12/23/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I remember reading that you can not nail top flange hangers to the top of a
>Micro-lam because it can delaminate the material. If I recall correctly,
>this must be face nailed or the Micro=Lam changed to a Timberstrand product
>or a Parallam.
>
>Does anyone recall this. I am doing a plan check on a project and need to
>verify this.
>
>Regards,
>Dennis S. Wish, PE
>SEConsultant(--nospam--at)Earthlink.net
>(208) 361-5447 Efax
------------------------
Dennis,
Without looking things up, I recall that the top flanges of the hangers were
expecting a wider bearing than the 1-3/4 inch typical of TJ-M's Microllam
and other LVL's. The nail position in the top flange failed any reasonable
edge distance.

Timberstrand also has glue lines parallel to the nails. The mfr has some of
these nailing limitations in their brochures.

But the Research Reports would seem to be the official authority, and it is
the applicant's burden, not the checker's, to answer concerns like this that
arise in the checker's mind.

Chuck Greenlaw  SE