Re: California Building Code seismic provisions.

FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Again, I would appreciate comments from others on this important subject of
"California Building Code" seismic provisions which would be more detailed
than the IBC seismic provisions.
Frank:

I  believe the key here is a change in California Law that would give a state agency (Seismic Safety Commission?) the authority to set seismic safety standards foe All occupancy groups in California.  Currently this authority only exists for public schools (DSA), hospitals etc. (OSHPD) and residential (HCD).  This proposed change would allow the state agency to amend the IBC to meet California's needs.

I don't believe that this would be as hard to achieve as, say, adopting the Blue Book as a "model code" in lieu of the IBC's sweismic provisions.

I believe that "the ship has sailed" with respect to a national (Federal) building code.  All you have to do is "follow the money".  FEMA has it; the states want it.  FEMA, through NEHRP and other disaster mitigation programs, will dictate the content of the code.

Bob Bossi