Re: Code Enforcement Concerns

Roger -

I think you are correct in some respects. I didn't state the obvious in my
earlier email.

You might check out this PEER report since it covers Arizona and the Western
U.S. As of May 1997, Arizona was characterized as one of 17 states having
"minimalist" approaches to code enforcement described by PEER's Peter May as
"very weak approaches to building codes. They have either not adopted a
state building code, or they have adopted a code with provisions that apply
to only a few types of public buildings." Is this true and accurate??

California is characterized by PEER as having a "Mandatory" approach to code
enforcement. However, Peter May found in surveys that such "Mandatory"
states "pay little attention to the extent to which local governments
actually adhere to state prescriptions." This is consistent with anecdotal
evidence that many of the over 600 jurisdictions in California are just not
staffed or otherwise equipped with the resources to enforce the code
consistently - particularly for major, engineered buildings. By the way,
Peter is from Washington state, not California.

On the other hand, Roger is absolutely right that some of the best building
departments with the nation's highest expressed priorities in enforcing the
code are in California. Peter May's survey shows that California's building
officials on the whole rank seismic safety and code enforcement as having a
higher priority than any other state. This is no surprise.

However, California is a big state with a wide spread of enforcement
activity. Some of the state's busiest construction activity - rampant
growth - occurs in its smaller, outlying communities which often have
ill-equipped building departments. Anecdotes of plan checks with no redmarks
are common. The lack of independent, qualified reviews and inspections is
unsettling to many firms practicing in California.

In a separate Insurance Service's Office's survey of "Building Code
Enforcement Effectiveness" of 415 California building departments, 0.8 % of
the state's population reside in cities with the best Class 1 building
departments. I think that's Fremont - congratulations to Massoud Abolhoda a
SEAOC member and Chief Building Official of Fremont. 12% reside in Class 2
cities and counties. 48% in Class 3. 35% in Class 4, 3% in Class 5, and 0.7%
in the least effective Class 6 jurisdictions. These findings suggest  that
over 80% of California's building departments have some room to improve. As
is the case elsewhere. Wouldn't you agree?

Fred