CBSC Appts

Fred

In your recent posting you said:

>>More importantly, a recent PEER Report 99-04 identifies the lack of code
enforcement and local and state government accountability as the key factor
in achieving reliable construction. California is characterized as less
than
an energetic state in this regard when compared to Oregon, Alaska,
Conneticut, Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, New Jersey, New
York, Ohio, Tennessee, and Vermont.<<

I would be curious as to what is a PEER report and how one can get a copy.

I would also be interested as to what was the basis for comparing the
enforcement in several states.  What are they actually measuring.  It
surely cannot be the level of the plan check because New York City does not
even perform a structural plan check.   While California could do better in
enforcement, I am not sure that some of the other states listed are any
more sucessful in terms of having the final buildings conform to the
building code.   What sounds good on paper may not be so good in practice.

One of the benifets to using the UBC has been to reduce some of the special
regulations adopted by individual juisdictions which often had little
justification.

Given the fact that our markets often extend beyond California I believe
that there are some real advantages to using regulations that are national
in scope.  With the practice of  engineering more and more dependent upon
computer programs to design members will soft ware developers be motivated
to modify their programs so they comply with code provisions that apply
only in California?

On a  related topic.  Is it an appropriate role for FEMA to be in charge of
writing the seismic provisions of the building code?  Should this role not
be transfered to some other organization such as NCSEA or SEI/ASCE?

Mark Gilligan