Re: California Building Code seismic provisions.

	Correct me if I am wrong, but FEMA will only refuse money if a state
adopts standards that are less stringent that a nation standard
(FEMA/NEHRP).  So if California and were to amend stricter standards
(Blue book) then there is no violation and FEMA will be happy.  Why
would FEMA complain if California enforced tougher codes?
	Secondly, enforcement was mentioned in another thread.  Here in Utah,
special inspection seams to be a four letter word.  Larger buildings
will use it, but only if absolutely necessary.  What could be done to
encourage owners, contractors, and building officials to use special
inspection or similar methods more often?  Furthermore, is there a way
to train inspectors in ways of engineering? Or am I naive in the
thoughts that inspectors should know the code as well as we do?

Happy Holidays,
Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT