RE: California Building Code seismic provisions.

Jake,

I believe the question of FEMA funding has already been addressed.

The issue of special inspection is different.  In many municipalities,
special inspection is performed under the supervision of a licensed
engineer.  But most licensed engineers aren't good special inspectors.  And
many special inspectors are not qualified.  I would highly recommend that
engineers to go through the ICBO lecture and take the exam for special
inspection.

I would recommend anyone to look at the qualifications for special
inspectors on the Kansas City, MO building department web site
http://www.kcmo.org/kcmo.nsf/web/home?opendocument.  The tragedy of the
Hyatt has borne fruit.

Regards,
Harold Sprague