RE: California Building Code seismic provisions.

Frank,

As a participant in the FEMA/BSSC/NEHRP/IBC code development process, I am
baffled by the perception of some that California is not represented, and
that the IBC is a Big Brother mandated edict.  The BSSC Provisions Update
Committee would be pressed to convene a quorum if the engineers from
California were not present.  And I believe all of the California engineers
are SEAOC members.  SEAOC members are a major participant in the process.
Once the Provisions go to the full BSSC, SEAOC has 5 votes through the
various divisions of California and CSSC has another vote.  Of all the BSSC
member organizations about half are from UBC jurisdictions.  Look in the
back of the NEHRP for a list of those who participate in the process.  The
Canadians were even represented.

I believe that Rick Drake made the point that SEAOC members were active in
the NEHRP Provision development process as individuals.  But there was still
an arena for the various SEAOC organizations to be heard when it went to the
full BSSC for ballot.  Again the various SEAOC representatives are listed in
the back of the NEHRP.  That was how the NEHRP process was developed.  As
TS13 chair, I received comments from some of the SEAOC groups, and I
addressed them with some modifications for the 1997 Provisions.

I will agree that once the NEHRP went to the IBC, it was almost impossible
to change.  I will further agree that there are some warts.  I agree that
from my perspective, the IBC would like to just reference in the seismic
provisions, and that may be appropriate.

I don't think that Henry Degenkolb would be too upset at the process.
Senior members of his firm were (and are) quite active in the development of
the NEHRP.

I am also curious as to how there is a desire for a "more detailed" seismic
code for California after reading the concerns for the lengthy Provisions
and the current IBC.  There was even an effort to develop a "Simplified"
version (which met with mixed success).

The 1997 NEHRP was a major (but necessary) rewrite of how we design for
seismic resistance.  It is bound to have some warts.  But for California to
throw it out would be a major mistake.  If the effort to throw it out is
based on the assertion that there was insufficient representation, the
assertion is incorrect.

Can the process be improved?  I am sure that it could.  Especially within
the IBC process.  Maybe it would be best to just work on it within the NEHRP
(which is on a 3 year cycle) and have the NEHRP go to a fully ANSI consensus
self contained document.  Then IBC could adopt it by reference.

Regards,
Harold Sprague