Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: (And A Rant About "The New Millenium Hoax")[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: (And A Rant About "The New Millenium Hoax")
- From: "Polhemus, Bill" <wlpolhemus(--nospam--at)sbinfra.com>
- Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:38:43 -0600
The New York Times edition of January 1, 1901, heralded "Twentieth Century Dawns!" Does this mean that the Twentieth Century was 99 years long? On the other hand: The oldest adage in marketing is "buy it now!" How much more advantageous for the hucksters that make up modern society if they can "dupe" the rest of us into this "New Millenium" craze? Sell a lot of Coke, Pepsi, and spark plugs that way! That's what most bugs me about it. And I would submit that we DO know "exactly what year we are in." We are, right now, in Year 1999 A.D. That is in keeping with nearly 1,500 years of convention. What year, exactly, a babe was born in Bethlehem is of little consequence when you consider that all the recorded events of history for the last 1,500 years have been so recorded with this system of numeration in mind. It makes me mad that we have so little education, generally, anymore that we pay more respect to numerology (a superstition) than we do to arithmetic (a science). Lastly, as far as "the public" being stupid: As a college buddy of mine once remarked, "Do you have any idea how STUPID an IQ of 100 is?" -----Original Message----- From: Darien Tebbe [mailto:dlt(--nospam--at)freese.com] Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 1999 11:17 AM To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org Subject: RE: (And A Rant About "The New Millenium Hoax") I think no one knows what year we are in, precisely. But the excitement of the year 2000 is fun, if you don't let the specific ambiguities get you down. And don't forget, we are all 'the public'. And I think I know a 'few' things.
- Prev by Subject: RE: (And A Rant About "The New Millenium Hoax")
- Next by Subject: (no subject)
- Previous by thread: Re: (And A Rant About "The New Millenium Hoax")
- Next by thread: The New Millenium Hoax