RE: Blast Resistant Building Design for Blast Containment

Just completed several test cell designs with similar design criteria and
construction approaches.

Suggest you order/use "Structures to Resist the Effects of Accidental
Explosions" [Army TM 5-1300; Navy NAVFAC P-397; Air Force AFR 88-22] Nov.
1990, from the US Dept of Commerce, National Technical Information Service
and "Design of Blast Resistant Buildings in Petrochemical Facilities" by
ASCE dated 1997.   Both references are very helpful.  Blast, especially
detonation, is complex.

We looked at tilt-up for several of the cells.  Corner connections are very
demanding and very critical.  Wall thicknesses are larger than "normal"
tilt-up to resist fragments, etc.

As far as doors and viewing windows communicating between occupied areas and
the test cells, I try to talk the clients out of them for safety reasons.
Not usually successful.  Need to be careful about the pressure leaking into
the occupied space and either cutting personnel close to the opening or
overpressurizing the space.  Maintain as much frangible space area as
possible, it makes the job easier and safer.  You also need to address the
frequency of the detonation.  Is it a one shot deal, raze the structure
after the event, or is it twice a day as a routing test?

Good luck.

Paul F. Blomberg
Jacobs Engineering Group
Phoenix, AZ