Albert Einstein Quotes

In honor of  Einstein being chosen man of the century, here are some of his
more famous words of wisdom:

On Knowledge ---

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the
opposite direction."

"The only real valuable thing is intuition."

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own
reason for existing."

His Understanding of the World ---

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."

"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."

"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is
comprehensible."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure
about the universe."

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is
shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV
will be fought with sticks and stones."

"In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above
all, be a sheep."

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be
counted counts."

On People and Life ---

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."

"No, this trick won't work...How on earth are you ever going to explain in
terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first
love?"

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior
spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive
with our frail and feeble mind."

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of
thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If
only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The
hereditary prejudices but honestly
and courageously uses his intelligence."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the
source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a
stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder
and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That
means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the
distinction between past, present, and future is
only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his
tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand
this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they
receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us 'universe', a part limited
in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as
something separated from the rest...a kind of optical delusion of his
consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to
our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our
task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of
compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its
beauty."

On Math and Science and Education ---

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at
it."

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates
empirically."

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday
thinking."

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological
criminal."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we
created them."

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
school."

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine
are still greater."

"Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present,
but an equation is something for eternity."

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is
play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain,
as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

"...one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape
from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from
the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature
longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective
perception and thought."

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit
with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S
relativity."

Happy New Millennium!

Stan Caldwell
Dallas, Texas