Re: Simpson Anchorage of H3 Hurricane

I have a plan check engineer that will not accept a H3 anchor for stud attachment to a plywood diaphragm. The anchorage is for light wood framing and is to resist suction loads in a 70 mph exposure C. The diaphragm height is at 14 feet.

His contention is that the H3 has inadequate development distance into the plywood diaphragm. The H3 is applied to each stud.

Our contention is that the H3 anchor is being utilize as intended, and that as long as the minimum edge distances of the plywood nailing is maintained, that the load will be transferred directly to the diaphragm. The direction of the framing is not applicable to the arguement since the H3 engages the ledger only. The H2.5 which is a little longer would only engage the end of the block and may not be acceptable.

Is there data out there regarding the allowable loads on edge nailing perpendicular to the sheet? Concentrated shear due to pullout of the anchor at the plywood works by a long shot when I ran the numbers, but the checker is looking for specific nail shear data perpendicular to the sheet.

As a point of notice, this question only applies to light framing, Masonry and Concrete walls require "positive" anchorage.