Re: SE vs. PE Stamp

In California the height limit requirement and/or number of stories will vary from city to city.  This is a jurisdiction specific requirement.  Schools and hospitals is a state requirement that the plans be stamped by an SE.

City of Los Angeles, for example, has other types of structures that require the work be performed by an SE.  Generally speaking, a CE or PE (structural) can do all other buildings.  Hope this helps.

Rick Ranous