From: Bill Allen [mailto:Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 1999 7:35 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: SE vs. PE Stamp

Alfonso-

>From the way I understand the CA requirements:

SE is required on the structural portions of schools and hospitals

City of LA (and maybe others too) require SE on structural portions of
buildings over 160 ft. tall.

No requirement for "expertise". In fact, anyone with a B.S.C.E. degree and
TWO years experience under three licensed Civil Engineers can stamp and sign
structural drawings for just about any structure (with the above exceptions
noted) located adjacent to the San Andreas near downtown LA or SF. Can't
find a Civil to sign those drawings for you? No problem. Any Architect
licensed in CA can sign the same drawings!

And we are concerned about a technically accurate, easy to use building
code! It's like the U.S. Congress focusing on a blue dress instead of
nuclear secrets sold to the Chinese!

Sheesh!

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS