Need Y2K compliance help - late start (not S.E. related)

Hello folks.  I am assisting someone in evaluating whether their computer is
Y2K compliant but I am getting some confusing results from some programs.  The
Norton 2000 free download from the web indicates that all is o.k.  The Mcfee
Y2K Survival kit also says all is ok.  But a separate program (by Micro Star)
indicates that the computers Real Time Clock (RTC) failed to roll over to
01/01/2000. A second program (NET 2000 Y2K Scanner by
http://www.suttondesigns.com ) indicates that several files of windows may
not work properly during y2K.  I only have the analysis version of these latter
programs and as such to fix the apparent problem, I will need to buy their FIX
version.  Compaq indicates that based on the serial number, the machine's
hardware is in compliance.

Q1: How can one know when they are getting ripped off by a bogous software
company or when the supposed reputable company doesn't do a good job at
checking things.

Q2: any free downloads anyone might care to recommend?

ed gonzalez