RE: Demolition -- Post-Tensioned Parking Deck

Fountain,

There is a big difference between demolishing unbonded and bonded PT.  A
parking deck is probably unbonded which makes it "interesting".  Unbonded PT
may get bound up in areas especially if the sheathing may have broken down
or if it used a greased craft paper sheath (common in the 70's).

A one way system (beams and slab) should have (depending on the code at the
time it was built) a fair amount of mild reinforcing.  The dimensions
suggest that all of the PT could be anchored at the perimeter.  If so you
can de-tension the strands from the perimeter as well.

Verify that the strands are de-tensioned.  Unbonded strands under tension
should never be cut.  You can launch one a long way by just sawing through a
tensioned strand.  If the ends are not accessible, you can de-tension the
strand by exposing about a 5' long section and heating the strand to relieve
the tension.  This takes an experienced guy on the torch.  He must use the
torch to heat a length of strand, not to cut the strand.

I would suggest:
1.	Shore the structure
2.	Add diagonal cables to control the direction of collapse (you
mentioned nearby buildings)
3.	De-tension all of the strands
4.	Knock it down

Regards,