Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: Need Y2K compliance help - late start (not S.E. related)[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: Need Y2K compliance help - late start (not S.E. related)
- From: William Keil <WJK(--nospam--at)brph.com>
- Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:43:32 -0500
FWIW, the computer I purchased five years ago appeared to be doomed in 2000. However, somebody alerted me to the fact that merely changing the year display from two digits to four digits would fix the problem. I tried that through Windows 3.1 for Workgroups which the computer came with. The only problem I had was the computer would not roll over by itself. For some reason related to the BIOS, the computer would reset to 1980 instead of 2000. But I could go in on January 1 and set the year to 2000 and it works fine after that. Last month, my bank informed me that I cannot access my account between 11 p.m. on the 31st to 7 a.m. on the first. They claim that they are performing their "year-end statements" and "it is a normal procedure"; however, I believe they are just shutting their entire network of computers down before midnight and rebooting with a new date input on the first which is similar to what I will be doing. From that point on, no problems should appear ... in theory ... I guess ... so I can either be a millionaire, broke, or just the same as I was before. I contemplated purchasing a Y2K check program for $45 but I am glad I did not because I do not believe these programs are entirely accurate. Most only report a problem or what the program "perceives" as a problem and do not offer any solutions. The best information I received was via the Gateway 2000 and Microsoft web sites. I would try the manufacturers first before buying any software for testing/fixing. IMO, I would think that all reputable manufacturers and software companies would offer free downloads if their merchandise does require a "fix." Good luck. William J. Keil, P.E.
- Prev by Subject: RE: Need Y2K compliance help - late start (not S.E. related)
- Next by Subject: RE: Need Y2K compliance help - late start (not S.E. related)
- Previous by thread: RE: Need Y2K compliance help - late start (not S.E. related)
- Next by thread: RE: Need Y2K compliance help - late start (not S.E. related)