Re: Demolition -- Post-Tensioned Parking Deck

Thank you, Harold,

My initial reaction was to take a more agressive approach.

I'm told the tendons are unbonded, and that the date on the drawings is
9/4/73.  I was told earlier that the structure was about 10 years old.

The launching of tendons is something I've heard of, but never seen.  I've
seen a number of unbonded tendons broken during construction, but none of
them "launched".  About 18 inches is as far as I've seen a tendon "launch"
from the outside face of the slab.

Casey at geiger engineers tells me of a case in Canada where there was an
"exciting" launch -- some 300 feet.

Maybe a girdle around the deck edge would be in order.  But, in the
interest of economics, we don't want to do anything unnecessary.

I appreciate all on this list.  As a loner it helps to bounce things like
this off some other engineers.

Fountain

> From: Sprague, Harold O. <SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: RE: Demolition -- Post-Tensioned Parking Deck
> Date: Wednesday, December 29, 1999 11:45 AM
>
> Fountain,
>
> There is a big difference between demolishing unbonded and bonded PT.  A
> parking deck is probably unbonded which makes it "interesting".  Unbonded
PT