Need Y2K compliance help - late start (n

Ed,

You can do two things to check if the computer is Y2K compliant:

Test 1:

>From the DOS Command Line:

Type, "DATE"

Set the date to 12/31/99

Type, "TIME"

Set the time to 23:59

Wait a minute and a half.

Type, "DATE"

If the date reads 2000, then the DOS clock is O.K.  If it reads something
else, it isn't O.K.

Test 2:

>From the DOS Command Line:

Type, "DATE"

Set the date to 12/31/99

Type, "TIME"

Set the time to 23:50 (or earlier)

Turn off the computer.

Unplug the computer from any power sources and UPS devices.

Wait 15 (or more) minutes.

Plug the computer back in.

Power up.

>From the DOS Command Line:

Type, "DATE"

If the date does not read 2000, then you have a problem with the Real Time
Clock (RTC).  If the Date shows 01/01/00, you don't know whether it is 1900
or 2000, so go into a word processing program and create a document that uses
the current date.

If you have a RTC problem, on January 1st go into SETUP and set the RTC date
to read January 1, 2000.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Ed Gonzalez wrote:

>>Hello folks.  I am assisting someone in evaluating whether their computer is
Y2K compliant but I am getting some confusing results from some programs.  The
Norton 2000 free download from the web indicates that all is o.k.  The Mcfee
Y2K Survival kit also says all is ok.  But a separate program (by Micro Star)
indicates that the computers Real Time Clock (RTC) failed to roll over to
01/01/2000. A second program (NET 2000 Y2K Scanner by
http://www.suttondesigns.com ) indicates that several files of windows may
not work properly during y2K.  I only have the analysis version of these
latter
programs and as such to fix the apparent problem, I will need to buy their FIX
version.  Compaq indicates that based on the serial number, the machine's
hardware is in compliance.

Q1: How can one know when they are getting ripped off by a bogous software
company or when the supposed reputable company doesn't do a good job at
checking things.

Q2: any free downloads anyone might care to recommend?

ed gonzalez<<