RE: UBC97

Jerry,
I donated a spreadsheet that will design a multi-story light framed
structure per the '97 UBC. It uses both flexible and rigid diaphragm design
and is available free of charge from the SEAOC Website at www.seaoc.org.

You can download directly from this link:
http://www.seaoc.org/Committees/CAC/Software.html

You must have Microsoft Excel 97 or later to use this spreadsheet, but it
should do the job.

If you are working with Autocad to create your drawings, you can simplify
the rigid analysis section of the spreadsheet by exporting the coordinates
of the diaphragm area and shear walls using the Data Extraction tool that is
also available for free download on this Webpage.
Check out the other contributions that were posted by Mark Deardorff, SE (a
Two-Cycle Moment Distribution program for R/C Concrete Beam in Excel format)
and Szuchuan Chang, PE (StlShape - a steel design utility also available for
free).

If anyone else is interested: There is a button on the Webpage for special
instructions on how to submit software to the SEAOC community. I hope that
others are willing to participate in sharing and learning how to create
tools. This is a very good resource for those of us who are interested in
maintaining control of our design tools and wish to learn how to create
tools using spreadsheets and other software like Mathcad.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish PE