Re: The New Millennium Hoax

All I said is that it makes no sense to say Jesus turned 33 in the year 34
A.D. and that the number of years from, say, 100 B.C. to 100 A.D. is 199
years.  Just because historians do it that way doesn't make it correct.
Using natural numbers makes no sense in this context since there is a time
before the year one.

Christianity no longer maintains, under penalty of death, that the earth is
flat.  Dennis the Short apparently didn't know about the year zero.  It is
possible he was wrong.  This is the computer age, zero is here to stay.

It is time for the year zero to stand up and be counted!  The people demand
it!!  They are tired of being pandered to by people such as the historians
who maintain that some guy said it in the SIXTH century, it MUST be true,
common sense be damned!!

	An optimist is someone who maintains that the millennium starts 1
Jan 2000, then changes his mind in July 2000 so that s/he can prepare for
the second celebration.

	A pessimist is someone who maintains that the millennium starts 1
Jan 2001, then changes his mind in July 2000 and misses BOTH celebrations!
:-)

	An engineer is someone who actually thinks it matters which one is
correct.

Since we now know we will never agree on this one, can we now discuss a
consensus item topic, such as:  "Steel design in the new millennium: ASD vs
LRFD."  ????

Mark Swingle

Bill Polhemus said:

	<Again, the thing to remember is this is about the overwheening
IGNORANCE of the majority of the populace, which is being pandered to by the
media and marketers of every stripe.

	<But you never would say "in my zeroth year" would you? No, the
period of time from your birth to your first birthday would be...what? Year
ONE.

	Q.E.D.>

Mark E. Deardorff said:

	<Measuring the age of a person has nothing to do with how calendars
and years are counted. This is not a physics exercise, it is a counting
exercise where years are counted as natural numbers. There simply was never
a year zero or a year minus zero. You will not find such a year in any
timeline. The first year was simply year one. This, by the by, is not a
matter of opinion but of simple observation. Find any historical scholar on
this and you will find that you are not supported.>