Re: Single-wall house

John,

I'd be interested in standard construction details for single-wall houses
that you may be able to get me in touch with -- not so that I can design a
new one, but so that I can have a better idea of what I'm dealing with when
I'm working with an old one.

I am currently working on strengthening a single-wall house.  It has been
much modified over the years, with walls cut out to extend the floor in two
directions using poorly conceived short cantilever joists, a big window cut
into one of the few remaining potentially effective shear walls, a second
story addition that I haven't yet figured out what the structural system
might consist of, and drywall installed on the walls and ceilings of many
rooms.  Its now top-heavy, massive (compared with its original light weight),
and hardly braced.  Anything I can learn about original construction
techniques is potentially helpful to me in devising a realistic and effective
strengthening scheme.

Thanks.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer