Re: Another Holiday Side Topic - Hubble

Phil Hodge wrote:

>>BTW, my abacus and slide rule are all greased up, ready for Saturday
morning, just in case the millennium starts now rather than in 12 months.<<

Do you mean:

   _______________             _______________
   |  o  o  o  o  |            |  o  o  o  o  |
   |  o  |  |  |  |            |  o  o  o  o  |
   |  |  o  o  o  |            |  |  |  |  |  |
   |==============|            |==============|
   |  o  o  o  o  |   + 1  =   |  o  |  |  |  |    ?
   |  |  o  o  o  |            |  o  o  o  o  |
   |  o  o  o  o  |            |  |  o  o  o  |
   |  o  o  o  o  |            |  o  o  o  o  |
   |  o  |  |  |  |            |  o  o  o  o  |
   |  o  o  o  o  |            |  o  o  o  o  |
   |--------------|            |--------------|

BTW, by the time most of us in the U.S. wake up tomorrow morning (December
31st), we will already know if there is a Y2K problem and we won't have to
wait until midnight tomorrow night to find out.  The people in American Samoa
will be the first to experience the new millennium followed quickly by New
Zealand, but consider what is going to happen on the American nuclear
submarine that is going to surface on the equator at the international date
line with its forward section west of the international date line and in the
southern hemisphere where it is summer and the year 2000, and its aft section
east of the international date line in the northern hemisphere where it is
winter and the year 2000 won't come for another 24 hours!  Now, if the deck
log was placed so that half the page was in 1999 and the other half was in
2000, ?????

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona