Re: Single-wall house

Irving Gill, an architect in San Diego in the early part of the century, designed
homes and buildings using innovative techniques.  On Seventh Street in San Diego
he designed three homes called the "Three Sisters."   Local lore is that three
sisters wanted to live adjacent to each other but had little money. Mr. Gill
sought to design homes as inexpensively to construct as possible.  The result was
three, two story, single wall homes. They date from the 1920's.  I have been in
one of them and found it free of any distress that might be the result of
racking.  Because this type of construction applied finishes to both sides of the
walls, there were no connections visible. In this case, rats had invaded the
attic making it impossible to enter.  So I have no idea how the roof was framed.

I do not know what plans or documentation that might exist and my knowledge of
the history is second hand at best.  Perhaps some research of architectural
history using "Irving Gill" and "Three Sisters" may produce some info.

I had another experience with single wall homes. I was called by the owner of a
home that had partially collapsed.  The owner had hired a contractor to add a
second story to their home. They did not realize that they owned a single wall
home. The contractor had plans made that assumed typical stud construction form
the existing . They proceeded and did not stop when they found single wall
construction.  The City inspector did not notice the discrepancy and work kept
proceeding until the plaster on the lower walls started to crack. Valiant efforts
by the neighbors and lots of Home Depot 4 bys kept the building from pancaking.
The owners were paid the value of a new 2 story home by the various insurance
companies as repairs were almost impossible.  The problem of establishing a
complete load path without a perimeter foundation and other problems were too
costly to correct.

The mysteries of single wall construction have caught others.

Please share what you find out