RE: Report on Wood Diaphragm Issues

I want to respond to George Richards, who wrote: "Dennis Wish, I believe,
posted a computer program on the net to solve these types of problems.  Also
Simpson has their KEYLAT lateral program now on the market.  We are taking
Shafat Qazi position as just posted on the
list-server. "

I wish to point out that although I am happy to have created a tool (with
the help of others) for engineers to meet the provisions of the code, I do
not support these provisions for residential construction and had hoped that
this powerful program would have been used by the code writers to isolate
those structures that do not benefit from the code methodology.

I anticipated only a short life to the spreadsheet - or in the least, that
the program would be modified and used for those types of structures which
do benefit from this methodology.

I still have faith that those who choose to use the program will include
professionals willing to evaluate the code as it applies to different types
of wood structures and use this tool to exempt those that are penalized or
gain nothing from full compliance. It has opened my eyes and confirmed my
conviction that we are moving in the wrong direction and ignoring the more
reasonable failing that should be addressed first and which will not result
in more costly design and construction fees.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
SEConsultant(--nospam--at)Earthlink.net <mailto:SEConsultant(--nospam--at)Earthlink.net>
(208) 361-5447 Efax