Re: amusement structures

Ralph Kratz wrote:

>>In a message dated 1/4/00 9:13:47 AM, aaron(--nospam--at)kpff.com writes:
<< they have
omitted all seismic calculations (we are in seismic zone 3) with a blanket
statement "wind load governs"  >>

Now there's an approach I've gotta try, save a lot of engineering time!  :)<<

Why not?  It happens all the time here in Arizona and Building Officials
don't even raise an eyebrow.  No seismic calculations, just the statement,
"Wind Controls."  "Everyone knows that 'low-rise' structures are controlled
by wind."  Yet, even in this Seismic Zone 2 area, every masonry walled
building that I have designed, even one story buildings, the base shear is
controlled by seismic.  The flexural design of the exterior walls may have
wind forces controlling, the diaphragm may have wind forces controlling, but
the base shear is controlled by seismic forces.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona