Re: Partition load for gravity design

Elly D. Rejuso, P.E. wrote:

>>It appears to be considered dead load under UBC section 1606.2, but live
load under ASCE section 4.4.2.

My dilemma is should I consider partition load when checking live load
deflection (L/360) for office floor members. What is the standard practice.<<

I think that it has to be remembered what problem the L/360 limitation is to
prevent.  The L/360 limit is to prevent cracking in brittle finishes,
therefore, all loads that may be applied after the brittle finish is applied
should be included in calculating deflection when checking for compliance
with the L/360 limit.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona