97 ubc

Dear Steve,

Thanx responding so quickly.  In my example we have a frame (cantivered steel
columns) on the lower floor and plywood shearwalls on the upper floors.

When considering regidies the plywood walls may deflect 1/8" while the frame
will deflect .8 inches under similar loading.  The lower floor is therefore
more flexible.  Rigid Frames are a more flexible system than a shear wall
system.  We therfore have a fleable system supporting a rigid system (soft
story).

I would like to find away around this penalty on cntilevered columns, and if
I could am overlooking something I would like to believe I could use section
1630.4.2.

Please read C105.3.1 page 127 of the 1996 Blue Book

Please reply

Thanx

Ken Tarlow