Re: Report on Wood Diaphragm Issues

It is a sad day when we allow attorneys and building officials to dictate
how we are to design structures. Anytime the code allows for a choice in the
engineering design, the building officials will always opt for the more
conservative method. Case in point is the wind exposure definition of case b
or case c which has resulted in Exposure "c" being required as the standard
throughout Southern California. But to argue for Exposure "b" is futile
(aerial topo maps,etc). Along with some jurisdictions requiring 90 mph wind
speed and Exposure "c" results in designing for a Class 2? hurricane. The
City of Big Bear Lake, which has a non-engineer building official, has
required the following criteria for lateral design for projects close to the
lake: 80mph Exposure "d" , 100psf snow load and no 75% reduction for snow
loads for seismic design ( dl + 100% snow).

So if we allow the Building Officials the choice between flexible or rigid
diaphragms, they will always opt for the more conservative method. To use
the UBC Standard 23-2 for the calculations of the diaphragm and shear wall
deflections along with their wide range of assumptions and parameters can
never accurately determine rigidity or flexibility.

To try and explain the 1997 UBC earthquake design chapter 16, along with
sections 2320.5, 2320.11.4, 2:1 aspect ratio for plywood walls to the
general public results in appearing to be stupid.

Somehow sound engineering judgement, common sense and  practical design
experience, have been replaced by code formulas and ambiguous requirements
that just don't work in the real world.