Re: Report on Wood Diaphragm Issues

Ken,
After reading your post I now know that given the opportunity I will not do
work in Big Bear as long as that idiot is there.  Several of our local
building officials (we have 5 separate jurisdictions around Lake Tahoe)
tried the Exp D nonsense when it first came out.  Fortunately there is a
good design example in the Wind commentary put out by SEAW (as well as a
careful reading of UBC 1616) that clearly shows that D cannot apply, that we
were able to use to combat this kind of illogic.  As far as combining snow
with seismic there are several papers that have done a probabilistic study
of combining snow and seismic.  They all support the use of the minimum 1/4
as suggested in the code.  We (us local Tahoe engineers) have used this
information to actually reduce the amount of snow used as DL during seismic
in Placer co. (North shore) and we are working on El Dorado Co.(south
shore).  If there is no engineer on staff at the Big Bear building dept. you
might let the official know that you are willing to file a complaint with
the board for practicing engineering without a license.  I have found this
to be a very effective tactic when dealing with non-professional +ACI-Barney
Fife+ACI- type building officials.

As far as your last paragraph, in one of this past summers' SEAOC on line
issues, Dennis reprinted an old article by Charles Greenlaw which reviewed
+ACI-The Death of Common Sense+ACI- by Philip K. Howard.  I would highly recommend
all to read this well written article as well as the excellent book.  The
book gives insight into why we are having to deal with such an overly
complex code as well as how petty bureaucrats have come into so much power.
It is a good read but also depressing.

Randy Vogelgesang S.E.
South Lake Tahoe