Re: Home Plumbing Problem--not a structural related

John,

I haven't heard of the process, and it may do the job.  But it doesn't seem
plausible.  However, maybe I've something to learn here.

I think the deposits in plumbing pipes are largely calcium carbonate [CaCO3],
the same substance as limestone, or the binder in lime mortar, or calcite,
which is the natural binder in some sandstones.  The calcium in CaCO3 is
fully reacted with CO2.  It is the reaction of CO2 with Water and hydrated
lime [Ca(OH)2] that forms CaCO3, to develop the binder in lime mortar.  CaCO3
is slightly soluble in water, and hard water carries a lot of it.  As water
stands in a pipe, some of the dissolved CaCO3 precipitates as deposits that
eventually clog the pipe.  I would assume the deposits in plumbing pipes to
be essentially inert to CO2.  Nevertheless, if the process works, I'd like to
know more about it.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer