RE: Concrete flat slab strengthening

Alexander,

Conventional Reinforced Concrete:
	You mentioned the most obvious caveat on the concrete side
(shoring). Also consider:
		1.	Jack the slab to relieve the DL
		2.	Scarify / prepare / test the surface to get adequate
bond from new to old concrete.  Dowels can be used, but they are more
expensive.  There is a good history for raking surfaces to get new concrete
to bond to existing.  With a 4" thickness you don't need to account for a
different modulus of elasticity.
		3.	Use a low shrinkage concrete.  I wouldn't use
shrinkage compensating, but you can reduce shrinkage with a good mix and
good curing.
		This is how Filigree wide slab is done.  The also have a
mechanical anchor, but it does not see the horizontal shear load.  The bond
is adequate.

Structural Steel:
	For the "steel beams from above" solution. Also consider jacking the
slab to preload the steel beams.

Composite steel:
	Another possibility is a system of composite steel beams:
		1.	Provide steel beams below the slab connected to the
columns
		2.	Preload the steel beams
		3.	Drill holes through the slab
		4.	Shoot shear connectors to the top flange of the
steel beam
		5.	Grout the shear connector holes full
		6.	Remove preload after grout is cured

Post-Tension:
	Another potential solution is external PT in which the PT strand is
harped similar to prestressed concrete.  Use either cast-in-place concrete
anchor blocks / spacer blocks, structural steel, or a combination.  This can
be a very cost effective solution.

You can get load cells to tell you how much load you are putting on the
structural elements during jacking for the shoring / jacking solutions.
Obviously the rams will be calibrated to indicate the amount of PT force.

You should always factor in long term deflections.

Regards,
Harold Sprague