Re: Home Plumbing Problem--not a structural

In reading the posts concerning the water lines, I can only relate this
situation to similar ones I have been in with older galvanized lines.  Here
are my thoughts based on replacing 4 houses.

#1.  If you successfully remove the inner material that is clogging the
pipes, you will still most likely have to replace the pipes anyway in the new
future.  Those galv pipes have a limited life that is about 40 to 50 years.
After you remove the inner material, you may have a thousand leaks.  It is
odd how this some of this material is an inner waterproofing.

#2. I would not even attempt removeal of calcium carbonate unless I first
knew for sure that was the type of clog.  I have replaced 4 houses, and none
of them were calcium carbonate to my knowledge.  they were just rust,
corrosion and gunk.

#3. If you replace the piping, use the crawl space for the new pipes as long
as it is accessible.  If they have to crawl, that is expected.  Tunneling is
not expected.

#4. Check your main line FIRST.  However, if it is clogged, good chance the
rest of it is too.

#5. When routing new pipe, do not reduce from 3/4" to 1/2 too fast.  I
typically route my 3/4" farther than most plumbers before I reduce.   I
typically get better water pressure from that.  The negative of this is when
you have a long run of hot water pipe to an area.  You must run more water to
get the hot because of the volume of the 3/4" line.

#6  When you sell the house, the galvanized water lines or the exterior water
lines will be a negative on the price if the purchasers are thorough in an
assessment of your house.

#7. I have used CPVC on one house so far and have had no problems to date
with it. It was extremenly easy and cheap to put in compared to copper.  The
copper is not that expensive for the materials and if you learn to sweat
solder, it is not that hard to put in.  CPVC is much easier though.

#8. When they cut the old water lines, have them remove them completely from
under the house.  The presence of the old lines is blocks some access, is
unsightly and tends to make potential buyers notice the older pipes.

Just my thoughts, but galvanized in my opinion is rarely worth salvaging on
older houses.  You just wind up maintaining it EVERY year when a new leak
pops up.

Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL