From: Sprague, Harold O. [mailto:SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 1:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Concrete flat slab strengthening

Murat,

My observation of laboratory tests and field experience has indicated no
effect of polypropylene fibers except in reducing rebound of shotcrete.  I
have seen PPF used on slabs on grade, and slabs on deck in Louisiana,
Colorado, Missouri, Kansas, Wyoming, and in many other states.  The cracks
tend to be fewer than in unreinforced concrete, but the overall shrinkage
remains the same as plain concrete.  The combined shrinkage manifests in the
fewer cracks resulting in wider cracks.  The crack width is such that
aggregate interlock is lost and the slabs experience differential curling
resulting in tripping hazards.  The cost of repair runs about $5 per lineal
foot.

If you feel comfortable with PPF in slabs and you think it has merit, that
is fine.  My experiences with PPF have been too expensive to consider it.  I
will either go with no reinforcement for slabs on grade or I will use steel.

Regards,
Harold Sprague