RE: submit code questions on seismology web page

Rick,
I disagree with you on this. Volunteers accept responsibility for the
actions the same as anyone else. The purpose of volunteering is to get the
job done without payment - but this is not entirely true. Seismology and
Code Committees receive the majority of our dues for operating expenses each
year, therefore they become directly responsible for how much they produce
and what is produced. I don't want to financially support a committee with
my dues that does not perform or in my mind protect my professional
interest. I have a right to make that decisions and volunteers have a
responsibility to show that their annual budget is spent productively and
with timely goals in mind.
This brings to mind another issue related to dues. Mark Deardorff was denied
his request for a few thousand dollars (his annual budget for the Computer
Applications Committee is somewhere around $3K or $4K - a small sum compared
to the budget of other committees and the largest user of our dues - the
Seismology and Code Committee.
Many of Mark's goals for the technology advancements within our profession
are stifled by the lack of proper funding which retards our growth. I hope
that most who are paid members understand this and take more consideration
as to how their dues are spent.

Dennis