RE: Masonry wall construction

Based on my experience:

I design partially grouted walls all the time. Particularly with the new
code, I have gone to higher strength block grouted cells further apart to
reduce the load on the diaphragms. The last wall section I designed was
medium weight block, F'm=2,500 psi, #6 bars at 32", lightweight grout
f'c=3,200 psi. Granted, this was a tall wall. The *only* complaint I got
from the contractor (other than the Special Inspection charges) was with
regards to the high strength, light weight grout. Solid grout walls put way
too much load on a sub diaphragm, but I am referring to a wood diaphragm.
Your situation may be different.

I've had a mixed response of ladder reinforcement as opposed to horizontal
steel (i.e., 2-#4s @ 48"). Most of my wall sections specify horizontal steel
and NOT ladder reinforcement.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E.