From: Sprague, Harold O. [mailto:SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 12:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Masonry wall construction

Colleagues,

I need some advice regarding regional masonry wall construction practices.

----California------
As I understand it, CMU walls constructed in California are all grouted
solid.  No partial grouting is used regardless of applied load.
Is this true or false?
(The traditional rationale has been that all the seismic research has been
done only on fully grouted CMU walls.)

What is the practice of using ladder reinforcing as opposed to rebar in
intermediate bond beams?

----Alaska-----
What is the practice in Alaska?

Thanks,