Re: plywood glued to framing

3M 5230 adhesive (a 100% solids polyurethane) was on the market for a long
time, since the early 1970s. At one time, it had ICBO ES recognition for
semi-structural gluing, even for glued diaphragms with T&G lumber decking. It
was quite costly because of its high-tech formulation. It has been taken off
the market (so I understand), but a marine version (5200) is still available,
also costly.

Glued shear walls were tested at Michigan Technological Institute back in the
1960s or 70s. A finite element analysis was developed for their design. The
resulting structure was very stiff (linear elastic to strength limit state),
but strength was limited by "rolling shear" failures between the sheathing and
framing at the corners of the panels, where shear forces are highest. One way
around this would be to add extra framing at plates and panel edges to increase
the glue contact area.  Also, fasteners such as nails or staples still would be
required to provide some ductility if strength limit state is reached (to avoid
brittle failure).  Such application would require a substantial amount of
adhesive around the panel perimeter; about 24 lf of adhesive per 4x8 panel, if
only the perimeter is glued, more if panel is also adhered to interior
framing.  Say about 1/10 gal of adhesive per 4x8 panel, based on 37 lf at 1/4"
dia. bead (for 5230, this amounts to about $6-8 per panel just for adhesive,
plus labor to apply adhesive). Glued shear walls might make sense for narrow
shear walls (aspect ratio greater than 2:1), where stiffness is a concern.

APA also tested glued diaphragms (see APA Report 138). The surprising thing is
that the diaphragms acted more like a true beam, with parabolic shear
distribution which was maximum along the horizontal axis at mid-width of the
diaphragm, rather than uniform shear in both axes with a maximum at the end
supports (shear walls).

John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA