Re-using steel structures in very cold climates

Hi,

My client has some existing mining structures (typically conveyor trusses
and trestles, bins and open braced structures) which are currently in
Australia.  He wants to re-use these structures in a new gold mine in
Mongolia.  Some structures currently outdoors will be housed within an
insulated building at the new site.  Other structures, particularly
conveyors, will need to remain outdoors.

Our Australian steel is rated at -10 degrees C (14 degrees F) or -20 degrees
C (-4 degrees F)depending on its thickness.  In Mongolia, temperatures can
get as low as -40 degrees Celsius.

What are the consequences of using the existing steel?  Is brittleness an
issue when stresses are low?  What would be a suitable threshold?  Or should
we simply reject the existing structures and provide new structures built
using suitable low-temperature steel?

I would appreciate your opinions and experiences.

Regards,
Dave Meney
Structural engineer

Yenem Engineering Services