From: Sprague, Harold O. [mailto:SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 8:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Masonry wall construction (Bill Allen)

Dave,

The reasons depend on if you specify A or H block.  There are 2 types of
open ended concrete masonry unit (CMU).  There is the "A" block (one end
open) and the "H" block (each end open, there is only the web).  The problem
is breakage in manufacturing and handling.  The H blocks break more when
they are manufactured, shipped, stored, stacked, etc.  And when you have a
knock out bond beam shape, you have even less material holding the unit
together.

The U S Army Corps of Engineers uses A blocks.  I, too, prefer the A blocks.
For rebar spacing of 16" or greater, you can run the vertical bar through
with only one splice at the dowel.  The block can then be placed without
"threading" the bar through the cell.

Once contractors get familiar with A block, they generally prefer them.

Regards,
Harold Sprague