RE: regarding my sense of humor

Martin,
There are icons used in Internet e-mail that can represent a humor (:o)),
anger (:>( ))and a number of other emotions. These are commonly used to
represent the intention of your emails - essentially replacing facial
expressions. Some time ago, Shafat and others put together an "Emoticon"
list which you might find useful. Please remember that when someone does not
know you they tend to interpret your comments which are not direct.
I wish to apologize to you for my very direct and critical comments to you,
but hope that you understand my intentions. I hope you also understand that
the idea of a "verbal minority" is important to us because it provides a
voice similar to that of the volunteers in a committee. Participation has
been an important and very limited resource in most of SEA's work - and to
comment in any manner that may be conceived by even a few as negative or
condescending is very damaging to the efforts of those few.
One of the "realities" that I found difficult to face on an Internet Hub
such as this is the correlation of apathetic or non-vocal professionals to
that of the "brick-and-mortar" community. Essentially, they remain the same
which indicates that convenience alone is not going to get people to
participate in their profession. At this point I am at a loss for a medium
to bring forth more participation among members of the profession (not just
members of SEA).
Although we are at the first rung of a very tall ladder, not every step is
secure and what we need to keep in mind that we can slip back two for every
one we progress if we are not careful.
Finally, I am at fault as much as the next person and will make attempts to
set my emails aside for a while until I reconsider another's post and the
interpretations I'm reading into them.

Dennis S. Wish, PE