Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Re: Masonry wall construction

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I need a clarification here.  I am assuming that what is meant by "ladder
reinforcing" is the horizontal joint reinforcing made by a company such as
Dur-O-Wall.  Is that correct?  Staying on that concept, the "ladder
reinforcing" is the wire reinforcing that has a similar appearance to a
ladder, with long wires that would be placed along the face shell of the CMU
and the perpendicular wires would cross between them.  This is similar to
"truss reinforcing" which does not have perpendicular cross wires, but
diagonal wires creating a truss.  Back east typical CMU construction is to
have either one of these horizontal joint reinforcing in all CMU construction
at 16 inches o.c. vertically.

Now with this in mind, and not being an expert in CA construction, is the
common practice in CA to use horizontal bond beams with traditional
reinforcing bars at some increment, say 4 feet on center vertically, instead
of using the horizontal joint reinforcing?



Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team

The service mission like-minded Christian organizations
may turn to for technical assistance and know-how.