Re: ??finding distance of E.Q. from given location??

I use a program that I wrote for my calculator (based on pretty
simple spherical-cartesian coordinate transformation).

I assume a perfect sphere with R = 6366 km.  Then I calculate the 3D
cartesian coordinates of the two points.  The chord distance
between those points may be calculated as the SRSS of the component
distances (X1-X2, etc.).  Then I calculate the great circle distance
based on the chord distance and radius of the earth.

This method is in error in asmuchas the earth is not a perfect
sphere.  It looks like the web site you indicated can use other
ellipsoid methods (which would be more accurate).  Based on trials,
the distance using a spherical assumption is in error by a small
fraction of 1%, which is close enough for my purposes.

Lat/lon information is reported on all earthquakes.  Lat/lon
information for a given address can be obtained by using
www.mapblast.com.

*********
> From:          "Russel Madere" <rmadere(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net>

> I use the Clark 1866 Geoid to calculate the coordinates of each location in
> what ever unit I want and then use Algebra's Pythagerean Theorem to
> calculate the distance.  Not the quickest way by hand, but a PC can handle
> the calculations in seconds.

Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                       E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com