RE: Re: Masonry wall construction

Rich,

You are correct in what ladder reinforcement is.

Some engineers don't call out the ladder reinforcement and just use rebar to
satisfy all of the horizontal reinforcement requirements of the UBC or ACI
530.  Some engineers call out the ladder reinforcement and subtract that
area from the horizontal reinforcement required, and provide the balance in
the form of rebar in bond beams.

Regards,
Harold Sprague