Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Re: Masonry wall construction

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

You are correct in what ladder reinforcement is.  

Some engineers don't call out the ladder reinforcement and just use rebar to
satisfy all of the horizontal reinforcement requirements of the UBC or ACI
530.  Some engineers call out the ladder reinforcement and subtract that
area from the horizontal reinforcement required, and provide the balance in
the form of rebar in bond beams.  

Harold Sprague

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	rlewis(--nospam--at) [SMTP:rlewis(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Wednesday, January 12, 2000 12:48 PM
> To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject:	Re: Re: Masonry wall construction
> I need a clarification here.  I am assuming that what is meant by "ladder
> reinforcing" is the horizontal joint reinforcing made by a company such as
> Dur-O-Wall.  Is that correct?  Staying on that concept, the "ladder
> reinforcing" is the wire reinforcing that has a similar appearance to a
> ladder, with long wires that would be placed along the face shell of the
> and the perpendicular wires would cross between them.  This is similar to
> "truss reinforcing" which does not have perpendicular cross wires, but
> diagonal wires creating a truss.  Back east typical CMU construction is to
> have either one of these horizontal joint reinforcing in all CMU
> construction
> at 16 inches o.c. vertically.
> Now with this in mind, and not being an expert in CA construction, is the
> common practice in CA to use horizontal bond beams with traditional
> reinforcing bars at some increment, say 4 feet on center vertically,
> instead
> of using the horizontal joint reinforcing?
> Rich
> __________________________________________________
> Richard Lewis, P.E.
> Missionary TECH Team
> rlewis(--nospam--at)
> The service mission like-minded Christian organizations
> may turn to for technical assistance and know-how.