Re: 97 ubc (soft story)

Dear Mark et al

The orginal poblem is with a wood framed structure sitting on a wood framed
structure with an open end.  In the older codes we used   a cantilevered
steel column at the open end to act as a frame.  If we do it now we have to
double the seismic loads on the whole structure.  This is not possible.

It is true you can perform a dynamic analysis, and thus mitigate the issues
created by the soft story, however how do you model a wood shear wall or
diaphragm in your SAP program.

Ken Tarlow