RE: 97 ubc (soft story)

I would suggest that you read Section 5.2.5 of the 1997 NEHRP Recommended
Provisions or Section 1616.6 of the 2000 IBC. On the point in question,
these two documents very clearly indicate that Martin's interpretation is
exactly what the codewriters had in mind.  I grant you that the organization
and wording of Section 1629.8 of the 1997 UBC could be more clear.  That is
why both of the other references (above) include a table that aids
understanding of the intent.

Unfortunately, as has been discussed often on this list, there is no
mechanism to "change" the 1997 UBC short of some dire emergency; it is
essentially a lame duck.